Issue migrating from codecov package to codecov/codecov-action@v3

Hi! We’ve been using the codecov PyPI package for the past several years which has always been working without problem. We’re now trying to migrate to the codecov-action but are running into issues.

The action always ends up exiting with the following:

==> Running version v0.4.1
/home/runner/actions-runner/_work/_actions/codecov/codecov-action/v3/dist/codecov -n  -Q github-action-3.1.2 -Z -v
/home/runner/actions-runner/_work/_actions/codecov/codecov-action/v3/dist/codecov: 1: ELF: not found
/home/runner/actions-runner/_work/_actions/codecov/codecov-action/v3/dist/codecov: 1: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting ")")
Error: Codecov: Failed to properly upload: The process '/home/runner/actions-runner/_work/_actions/codecov/codecov-action/v3/dist/codecov' failed with exit code 2

Originally tried just this:

- uses: codecov/codecov-action@v3
        with:
          token: ${{ secrets.CODECOV_TOKEN }}

And eventually ended up with this:

But always got the same error message.

Saw a few threads suggesting to rotate the CODECOV_TOKEN, which I tried but also seemed to not make a difference.

Any idea what might be going on here?

We’re using an arm64 actions runner, maybe that’s the problem – but that always worked fine with the PyPI package.

Thanks!

@wilhelmklopp it’s possible that it’s an arm64 thing. I’m hoping to release a version of the uploader that supports it via this PR. Can I get back to you later this week?

@wilhelmklopp would you be open to testing a build that should support aarch64?

I created an asset here (https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/codecov/uploader/4170/workflows/56ff966f-d2b7-43d1-9128-b6a59b0c23ba/jobs/40761/artifacts) named out/codecov-aarch64.

You should be able to download that file, chmod +x <filename>, and run it in CI. Let me know if that solves your issue and we’ll work to get it supported.

@tom thanks! Just spent some time trying to get this to work and looks like it is working for us!

Will be able to use this aarch64 build via the codecov-action or would we need to continue to use the uploader directly? Asking because our preference would be to use the codecov-action

@wilhelmklopp I will be off on vacation starting tomorrow, so I will work like hell to try to get this into the codecov-action today.

Here’s the PR. Hope to get it in in the next 2 hours.

Many thanks, Tom! We’ll try it out via the action tomorrow.

Have a good vacation!

1 Like

Working via the action for us, yay!

1 Like