Unknown author of commit

Description

Hey guys, I’ve integrated codecov with GitLab CI and everything works well, but the author of commit is always Unknown. Email address in .gitconfig/GitLab/codecov is the same everywhere. Also the same is happening when I’m trying to upload report from local machine

Repository

CI/CD

GitLab CI

Uploader

bash uploader

Commit SHAs

f2ebf6120ae6b4fd695f052e1e3bd82cc1a6555a

Codecov YAML

using default

Steps to Reproduce

1. upload report to codecov using bash <(curl -s https://codecov.io/bash)
  2. go to your repository and open commits tab

Expected behavior: author’s email or name is shown in commits section

Actual behavior: author Unknown is shown

Flakiness? all the time

Hi @mrmarkusss, I did a little digging here. Can you confirm that the user with the author email is tied to a GitLab account?

Hey @tom, yes and I see the author of commit in GitLab

Hi @mrmarkusss, we made some changes to how we pull author information. Would you be able to try pushing a new commit from the unknown author and see if this issue is resolved?

Hi @tom, just pushed new commit and seems it’s not working, but when I create a new merge request in GitLab it works.

Hi @mrmarkusss, sorry this is still an issue. I’ll sync with the product team and work on getting a fix for this.

1 Like

Hi @mrmarkusss, we noticed that you can have multiple emails linked to your GitLab account for different purposes. One is a Commit Email which is an email that is used for web based operations, such as edits and merges. This worked for your merge but you could be using a different email that can’t be matched for pushed commits

It would be immensely helpful if you could send a screenshot of your GitLab emails page for that user. Please feel free to DM me that information so as not to share it publicly.

it seems I can’t send a message(Sorry, you cannot send a personal message to that user.)

but I have only one email associated with my GitLab account and this is the same email address that I’m using in Git

@mrmarkusss, you should be able to now. As for the email, I meant regarding the user that is not showing up on our UI (if not you).

@tom I’m not sure I understand what do you mean

@mrmarkusss are you the only user pushing changes to this repository?

@tom yes, so far I’m the only one

1 Like

Hi @mrmarkusss, thanks for that. I’ll pull in the product team to see why this is happening.

1 Like

I’m also having this issue.

@joeldbirch, can you provide a Codecov link and a SHA?

Here’s a Codecov link to a commit I made which was committed by “Somebody” or “Unknown” depending on which view it is listed in.

And here is the SHA for that commit.
4cf89f6

Hi @joeldbirch, this looks like an issue with pulling the author details. Can you see if this is set up properly here and check after pushing a new commit? I think this will be helpful here too @mrmarkusss

my ~/.gitconfig setted up properly, email is everywhere the same

Thanks Tom, that fixed it! My email field in .gitconfig was blank.

I really appreciate your clear and straightforward help in resolving this. Have a great day/night/both.

1 Like

HI @mrmarkusss, unfortunately do not persist longer than your newest commit. Would you be able to push a new one so we can investigate? I may need to DM you for details due to the nature of your repository’s privacy.